GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Congratulations to Francis Boykin of Gulfport, the winner of the 2019 St. Jude Dream Home, which is valued at $370,000.
The 2,700 square feet, three-bedroom, three-bathroom Dream Home - which was built by Elliot Homes - is located in the Landon Green subdivision of Gulfport.
“That’s the best thing that ever happened to me beside knowing the Lord," said Boykin as she stood in front of her new home.
Francis Boykin, who is blind, toured the house Sunday with her family by her side, checking out the design elements and getting a feel for the new space.
“So far, it sounds beautiful,” she said.
The Boykin family said they were getting ready to have dinner when they heard the announcement on TV. “Oh goodness gracious, she just screamed," said Marvin Boykin.
Francis added, "My husband didn’t know what was happening. When they said Francis I said, ‘Woo! I won the house, I won the house!’”
The proceeds from raffle tickets for the contest will go St. Jude to find a cure for childhood cancer and other diseases.
“A lot of people are not able and this a good way for them to get the help that they need for their children," said Francis.
Brandon Elliott said building the home from the ground up can be a hard process but the reactions from families are priceless.
Francis described the feeling of winning the St. Jude Dream Home as a dream come true. “God bless and I’m thankful, yes I am,” she said.
This year’s contest raised a total of $766,910 for patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. All the proceeds from the Dream Home Giveaway go to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to help children and their families battle cancer.
Here is a list of the secondary prizes given away during the Dream Home giveaway.
- Brenda Benny from Gulfport won the Tickets On Sale Prize, a $2,500 American Express Card, courtesy of Beau Rivage.
- Melissa Ballman from Wiggins won the Open House Prize, a $5,000 furniture shopping spree, courtesy of American Factory Direct Furniture Outlet, Inc.
- Angela Council from Gulfport won the Early Bird Prize, groceries for a year valued at $5,000, courtesy of Dream Day Foundation.
- Versie Page from Perkinston won the Bonus Prize, $25,000 toward a car of your choice from the Pat Peck Auto Group.
- Tracy Edelman from Biloxi won the Artesso® Articulating Kitchen Faucet with SmartTouch Technology, courtesy of Brizo.
- Margaret Shields from Carriere won Gumbo for a year courtesy Mary Mahoneys Old French House.
- Clarence Taylor from Biloxi won the tailgate package, courtesy of Chick-fil-A D'Iberville and Chick-fil-A Gulfport.
- Rita Goodbread from Pass Christian won the two-night weekend getaway package for two at IP Casino Resort and Spa, includes spa and meals
- Charles Reynolds from Vancleave won a two-night getaway for two at the Golden Nugget including spa and meals.