MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - Officials say there is always a spike in house fires around this time as people look for ways to stay warm in these freezing temperatures. But don’t let the chilly weather cause you to put your live or anyone else’s life in danger.
Here’s a few tips to make sure you are safely staying warm this season.
- Firefighters say to keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything combustible.
- Don’t plug too many things into a single electrical outlet.
- Avoid overusing extension cords.
- Never use your kitchen stove to heat your home.
- Never leave a heat source unattended.
- Closely monitor any areas where a heating source and a child or children are in the home.
The best advice is to simply use common sense and teach children the do’s and don’ts’s on how to safely use heating equipment.