Markham Building smolders after catching fire

Markham Building smolders after catching fire
Authorities say workers in the building may have caught insulation on fire Monday, causing a fire to start. (Knowles, Lindsay)

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Firefighters are working to put out a fire at the Markham Building in downtown Gulfport. The building got fire early Monday afternoon.

According to Gulfport Fire Chief Michael Beyerstedt, there were workers in the building when it caught fire. He said it appears the workers accidentally caught insulation on fire but firefighters are still investigating.

Chief Beyerstedt says the flames are under control.

WATCH LIVE: Firefighters are on the scene of the old Markham building in downtown Gulfport (no sound) Read more >> https://buff.ly/2qTxwvR

Posted by WLOX-TV on Monday, November 19, 2018

We will update this story as new details become available.

Copyright 2018 WLOX. All rights reserved.