SOUTH MISSISSIPPI (WLOX) - During the holidays, people across South Mississippi come together to help provide meals for those who are less fortunate. This year is no different.
Whether you are looking for a friendly face and a delicious meal or to volunteer your time helping serve others, here is a list where Thanksgiving meals are being served this year.
- The Gulf Coast Rescue Mission, located at 2750 Mission Lane off Debuys Road in Biloxi, will serve its annual Thanksgiving dinner from noon to 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Take out meals are available. For more information, call 228-388-3884.
- Feed My Sheep will serve Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless community from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 21. They are located at 2615 19th St. in Gulfport. The soup kitchen will be closed on Nov. 22-23 for the holiday.
- Slap Ya Momma’s in Biloxi will serve a free meal on Thanksgiving from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the restaurant on Highway 90. Everyone is invited to attend.
- Turkey dinners will once again be delivered throughout Harrison County thanks to police officers, sheriff’s deputies and other public safety employees. The Feed the Needy program has been bringing hot meals to people in need for 29 years. Last year, more than 5,000 meals were served. The program is completely volunteer-ran and help is needed to prepare plates and deliver meals. If you’d like to help, be at Lyman Community Center at 9 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Food donations, as well as financial contributions, are also still needed. For more information on how to donate or for details about signing up to have a meal delivered, contact Gulfport Police Department at 228-868-5703.
- The 33rd annual Thanksgiving dinner hosted by the Kelly family will be held on Thanksgiving Day from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the American Legion Hall, located at 701 Green Meadow Road in Bay St. Louis. The sit down, restaurant-style dinner is open to all communities. The dinner includes turkey and all the trimmings. Take out dinners are also available. Deliveries will also be made to the homebound only in Bay St. Louis, Waveland and Hancock County. Volunteers are needed to help serve food and deliver meals. To sign up as a volunteer or to reserve a homebound meal delivery, call 228-223-7349 or email email@example.com. Reservations to have a meal delivered must be made by Nov. 19.
- The eighth annual Thanksgiving in the Woods will be held by Shepherd of the Gulf from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 17. Volunteers will carry home-cooked Thanksgiving meals, camping supplies and cold weather supplies and necessities to the homeless community living off Highway 49. Volunteers are encouraged to bring donations and prepared food and meet at the Humane Society of South Mississippi at 10:30 a.m. For more information or details on how to make a financial donation, contact Linda Favre with Shepherd of the Gulf at 228-229-8980.
- The King’s Kitchen, the soup kitchen in Bay St. Louis, will be serving a traditional Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day from 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. for anyone regardless of financial status. The King’s Kitchen is located on Hwy 90 directly across from the Bay St. Louis Post Office.
- Thanksgiving dinner will be served to anyone who wants to join from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at two Exit Sunshine Realty locations. Those offices are both in Moss Point, with one at located at 8737 Hwy. 613, which will serve food Nov. 19, and the other at 6900 Hwy. 614, which will serve food Nov. 21. The dinner is open to the public,. No to-go plates will be allowed. For more information, call 228-475-EXIT (3948).
- Hurley United Methodist Church will host a Thanksgiving Day dinner for the community from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The church is located at 21901 Hwy. 613, Moss Point, about a quarter-mile north of the four-way stop. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- The third annual community Thanksgiving meal in memory of Sharon Anderson will be held on Thanksgiving Day from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Lucedale National Guard Armory, located at 323 Cowart St. in Lucedale. The meal is free and open to the public. If you plan on attending, please RSVP by calling 601-466-5201, 601-508-5322, and 601-508-8568.
Pearl River County
- A free Thanksgiving dinner will be served to the community will by children in the Torrence Family Schoolhouse 4-H Community Club. The dinner will be held Thursday, Nov. 15, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Poplarville storm shelter on Hwy. 26 near the county fairgrounds. The meal will mostly be prepared and served by the 27 children in the club as they learn about cooking and caring for the community. Any hot food that is leftover is sent to a local home for the mentally challenged and to the trustees at the Lenoir/Rowell Correctional Facility in Millard.
- The fourth annual Wiggins Community Thanksgiving Dinner will be held Saturday, Nov. 17, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the VFW, located at 201 Central Ave. The event is sponsored by Wiggins Police Department, local businesses, and churches in the area and is open to the public.
If you know of a free Thanksgiving meal being served to the community this year, please send us the details to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can add it to our list.